Study Abroad in Spain
STUDY ABROAD PROGRAMS
Live the full Spanish dream with Spanish Institute
The Spanish Institute Study Abroad Program offers the opportunity for international university students to enroll in the University of Sevilla, Pablo de Olavide University or EUSA University Centre. It also offers summer courses at the Pablo de Olavide University.
Spanish Institute offers students a complete and unique experience with our Study Abroad Programs in Sevilla. They take intensive communication courses, live in Spanish households, explore the region and perfect their Spanish language skills. This program is ideal for responsible students searching for a fresh perspective.
Study Abroad Program participants live the full Sevillan dream, gaining an authentic understanding of Spanish culture and making connections between the different experiences that connect us all across the globe.
Are you interested in living a new experience? Are you a self motivated, adventurous student? Are you looking to learn, practice, and perfect Spanish? Then Spanish Institute’s Study Abroad Semester or Academic Year in Sevilla is perfect for you.
Closely linked to the history of Sevilla and Andalucía, the University of Sevilla combines the values of tradition with being an innovative institution of quality and excellence. It is a university as cutting edge and cosmopolitan as the city of Sevilla itself and can boast a history of more than 500 years.
These courses for international students are part of the international program at the University of Sevilla and offer a wide variety of classes to choose from. The “cursos concertados” offer an advanced level and a general level and are both taught in Spanish by professors who teach the courses based on the fact the students understand and speak Spanish fluently. There are also courses in English for those who do not yet have a high enough level of Spanish: See the catalogue.
Philology Faculty (includes courses in the following areas):
Faculty of Geography and History (includes courses in the following areas):
* Each class meets for 4 hours each week. Students will receive a transcript with their grades, and will receive credit from their own university for classes completed.
"The Hispanic Studies Program" is designed for students wishing to spend a semester or a year abroad while continuing their undergraduate degree. While it offers advanced courses in Spanish, it also caters to the needs of those with little or no background in Spanish by offering classes taught in English in many subject areas. Hispanic Studies Program course offerings:
|History of Art and Cinema||Spanish and Latin American Literature|
|Biology / Chemistry / Science||Political Science|
|Anthropology/Spanish Culture||Spanish Language|
EUSA Study Abroad Program options include Semester or Year studies in any of the regular courses offered in official EUSA degrees. These courses are open to local students and may be offered in either English, Spanish or both. Their Study Abroad offer includes over 30 different subject areas in Spanish and English, ranging from Media Studies, Business and Human Resources to Cultural Studies, Language or History. See the courses.
And their official undergraduate degrees include:
- Personalized University Programs: we adapt to your needs because you are unique. We help you choose one of three prestigious universities in Sevilla.
- True Spanish Experience: Spanish Institute will accompany you in your immersion into the Spanish culture making your visit an unforgettable experience.
- Live Andalucía: art, history, tradition, gastronomy and much more.
- Accommodation: stay with a host family to learn and improve your Spanish, share your day to day experiences and enjoy the delicious homemade Spanish cuisine.
- Spanish Institute is 100% dedicated to our students. We strive to make your stay abroad a wonderful, unique and enriching experience that you will remember for the rest of your life. Our programs ensure personalized attention at every step of the process.
All of the university programs have an 8 day orientation upon arrival to Sevilla.
The orientation gives students vital information about adapting to life in Spain, the university system, the program, schedule, safety, activities, volunteer and internship opportunities, and meeting and getting to know Spanish students.
Orientation includes 48 hours of Spanish Language, Grammar, Conversation, Spanish Literature and Culture classes.
Spanish Institute for Global Education's Orientation Program holds a three credit bearing-option.
- Academic program at the University of Sevilla, Pablo de Olavide University or EUSA University Centre.
- Orientation Program: The program includes University Orientation and orientation on Spanish society and life in Spain in our Spanish Culture, Conversation, Literature and History classes. You will also receive important information about the city, transportation, the calendar and local holidays, health issues and safety.
- Class material.
- Academic advice before coming to Sevilla, tutoring and mentoring during your stay.
- Spanish placement test before coming to Sevilla so that our academic director can advise you on the subjects and prepare your personal program.
- Accommodation with a host family in Sevilla with full room and board; three meals a day throughout your stay.
- Documents needed to obtain entrance in Spain.
- Health insurance for non-european nationals with access to the best private hospitals in the city.
- Spanish Institute emergency telephone number, 24/7 assistance.
- Airport or train station transfer at the beginning and end of the program.
- Welcome Pack.
- Transport card (bus and metro).
- Opportunities to practice speaking with local students.
- Excursions and cultural visits in Sevilla and Andalucía.
- Welcome and farewell tapas celebrations.
- Support from Spanish Institute throughout the duration of the program.
- Academic certificate.
- A seminar on "Spain today" throughout the program at Spanish Institute.
- Internship program in organizations and/or volunteering.
ACCOMMODATION WITH A HOST FAMILY IN SEVILLA
The Study Abroad Program program includes accommodation in a host family.
Living with a family allows our students to fully discover the Spanish culture, life and people. At Spanish Institute we believe that this is an important aspect of the program.
The academic year program includes accommodation in a host family and offers the option of staying during the winter holiday period at an additional fee.
HEALTH AND REPATRIATION INSURANCEThe insurance included in our program guarantees:
- Principal Medical Health Assistance
- Medical specialists
- Diagnostic tests
- Specialist treatments
- Preventive medicine
- Second opinion
- Travel assistance
- Repatriation insurance
CERTIFICATES AND CREDIT OBTAINING OPTIONS
You will receive an official transcript from the university in Sevilla that you attend and from Spanish Institute.
Credit Obtaining Options
All university academic programs are available with an option to obtain credit. Interested students should ensure that their home institution awards credit for their courses. The program offers the necessary documentation for these procedures.
option of staying during the winter holiday period at an additional fee
Seminar throughout the program: "Spain Today"
The objective of this seminar is to accompany students throughout the program, address issues of Spanish society and facilitate a deeper learning of Spanish. This Seminar is offered at the levels of elementary, intermediate and advanced Spanish depending on the number of students and their grammar, composition and conversation skills. The 48 hour seminar is available as a credit-bearing option. Students should ensure that their home institution awards credit for this seminar.
This program has a fee of €300.00
Contents of the seminar:
- Women and the evolution of society in Spain.
- The Spanish educational system.
- Political organization in Spain: Autonomies, Parliamentary System, Monarchy.
- Unemployment, immigration and emigration.
- Religion and its manifestations in Spain.
- Political parties in Spain.
- Overcoming the Civil War.
- Greatnesses of Spain: transplants, ...
- Economy and productive forces of the country.
- The Mediterranean diet and the influence of history on the way of eating in Spain.
OPTIONAL INTERNSHIP OR VOLUNTEER
Spanish Institute offers internship and volunteering opportunities in prestigious organizations. All internship and volunteer programs must be requested before arrival. At the end of your stay you will obtain a Certificate of participation.
This program has a fee of €300.00
- International trade. We offer internships in international companies, tourism agencies and ICT corporations. Tasks include everything from digital marketing, press coverage / monitoring, PR distribution, SEO strategies, web content, and social media trends. In some companies, English is essential.
- Accounting and finance.
- Marketing and information technology.
- Graphic design
- Website localization
- Social media technology
- Public relations
- You can do internships in rehabilitation, cognitive therapy, audiology centers, sports health and physiotherapy.
- Internship collaborating in a digital magazine where you can investigate and collect news for articles in the office or at events in Sevilla and its surroundings. Tasks include translating articles, working on external communications, proofreading and editing, and you have an opportunity to publish articles.
- Local newspapers
- You can do internships in private regulated education centers (Early Childhood Education, Primary, Secondary), nurseries, and language schools.
- Work with students with special educational needs (Autism, ADHD, ...).
- Work in sports schools.
- Choose to carry out your internship in companies that offer translation services in different corporations and specific translation agencies.
- Art and culture
- Internships in foundations, galleries and museums. You will be able to research, offer guided tours and work in international communications and social networks.
- Planning of social events and / or academic events.
- Ecological Agriculture
- New: Online Business Internships in areas such as Journalism, Information Technology and Education.
- Social: Homeless people, educational support, child protection, LGTB, environment, sports and community development.
- Non-Governmental Organizations:
- Center for Seniors
- Down Syndrome Association
- Child Care Assistance to families at risk of social exclusion
- Women's Center
- Non-Governmental Organizations:
- Health: soup kitchens, assistance ...
- International: Immigrants, refugees, soup kitchens, legal assistance...
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
You have the option of taking classes at one of the three universities, the University of Sevilla, the Pablo de Olavide University or EUSA University Centre. A variety of subjects are offered in Spanish and English. We usually recommend choosing classes from the courses for foreign students instead of taking traditional and regular classes for Spanish students because the structure and content of the classes can be very difficult even without the language barrier. Everything is naturally immersed in the cultural environment and it is difficult to understand without starting from the same background. If you feel encouraged to do it, because you have a high level of Spanish, we will support and help you in your decision, many students have done so. The programs for foreign students are very interesting and varied, you can find more information about the classes on the university websites.
When you arrive, or even before you come, you will take a placement test with us. This will guide you and help us advice you in making decisions regarding subjects, activities and other options.
At the beginning of the course the program will give you all the materials for the orientation. The materials and books of the university classes must be purchased by you.
Spanish Institute has a program of internships in schools and companies. We also have a list of volunteering opportunities. All internship and volunteering programs must be requested through the home university prior to arrival. At the end of your stay you will get a certificate.
The Spanish universities will give you a university student card. The international student card is not essential, but it is good to have one. You can get a discount at many places all over Europe with a student card. There are several organizations that can give you your student card. The following link is one of them: International Student Identity Card isic.org
If you’re from a country in the European Union, it is not necessary. Spain also has agreements with many other countries outside of the European Union, and their citizens are allowed to stay in Spain without a visa if the stay is less than 90 days. However, if you do stay longer you will need a student’s visa. You have to apply for this through the link of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs: sede.maec.gob.es Once you have enrolled at Spanish Institute, and if your stay is going to be longer than 90 days, we will send you the necessary documents for the student visa application. It is a long process, it usually takes 45 days, so you should begin to apply as soon as you can. Any student who has ever needed a visa has been assigned one, so don’t worry! However, you should be aware that all the Consulates do not work in the same way, and in some places, the process is more difficult than in others. You should also realize that if you are going to stay for an academic year, you have to supply your criminal record, which makes the process even slower.
In the previous paragraph you can find the general information to obtain visas, but unfortunately at this time the international regulations have changed and it is very possible that from country to country the situation is different depending on their fight against COVID19. We will help you get a visa that allows you to study in Spain by sending you the necessary documents and certificates to show that everything is in order and show your serious intentions to study in Seville.
Yes! Remember that Spanish Institute arranges excursions throughout Andalucía so check in with them before planning any trips. It’s a good idea to have thought about where you would like to travel so when you get here you can start planning your trips. We recommend you try not to travel alone, talk to some of the other students you meet here to see if you can travel with a friend. There is a program called STEP UP run by the US government that is free and provides US students studying abroad with safety updates for the places they are traveling to. We recommend you log your trips with them as well, so you stay informed of anything going on in the area. Also, remember to budget for side trips beforehand. It’s highly recommended to take advantage of the cheaper flights to various destinations. You’ll also want to experience life in Sevilla, so don’t travel every weekend.
New situation with COVID19: during the pandemic you must reduce your trips to those strictly necessary. Unfortunately, it is an unforeseen situation that we must address with the commitment of taking care of ourselves and to be in more controlled environments.